I am excited to join the Middle School Campus as the new Chorus teacher this year!
I have a big passion for teaching vocal music, and have spent 16 years teaching music in international schools in China and Spain, and then in Southern Oregon.
In Chorus class, the main objective is to have fun singing, while learning something about music! In this class, students will:
- Sing in unison (one part) as well as in harmony (two or more parts)
- Learn music of varying styles, genres, language, and difficulty level.
- Learn the basics of music-reading.
- Engage in active listening activities.
- Prepare for concerts at least twice during the year.
Students will be given grades based on:
- Effort/participation (Weekly participation grade)
- Singing tests
- Written tests/quizzes
- Listening Activities
Students need to have a pencil and pen available every class, a spiral notebook dedicated to Chorus class, and their Chromebooks.
Following are the Expectations that I have outlined for students. (The weekly participation grade depends on the following):
- Follow instructions the first time they are given
- Be supportive, inclusive and polite to everyone in the class
- Raise your hand to speak. Otherwise sit quietly and focus on class.
- No phones permitted in class—leave them in your locker. (Last period of the day, leave them in your bag and turned off!)
- Arrive on time, pick up your folder and sit in your seat
- Stay focused in class
- Be prepared: bring needed materials every day
- Complete homework on time
- Participate and follow instructions in all class activities
- Be willing to try new things and to step out of your ‘comfort zone’.
- Mark your music with a pencil and take notes when necessary.