In Chorus class, the main objective is to have fun singing, while learning some basic music skills! In this class, students will:
- Sing in unison (one part) as well as in harmony (two or more parts)
- Learn music in varying styles, genres, language, and difficulty level.
- Learn the basics of music-reading.
- Engage in active listening activities and critique of choral video performances.
- Prepare for concerts at least twice during the year.
Students will be given grades based on:
- Effort/participation (Including being prepared for class): 40%
- Written quizzes/tests and singing tests: 30%
- Concert attendance/participation: 20%
- Listening Activities: 10%
*** Please note that attendance to dress rehearsals and performances is required, and students will receive a grade based on their attendance and participation, including following proper dress code (TBA).
Students need to have a pencil/eraser and pen available every class, a spiral notebook dedicated to Chorus class, and their Chromebooks. I will provide a music folder for each student, which will remain in the choral classroom.
Following are the Expectations that I have outlined for students. (The weekly participation grade depends on the following):
- Follow instructions the first time they are given
- Be supportive, inclusive and polite to everyone in the class
- Raise your hand to speak. Otherwise sit quietly and focus on class.
- No phones permitted in class—leave them in your locker. (Last period of the day, leave them in your bag and turned off!)
- Arrive on time, pick up your folder and sit in your seat
- Stay focused in class
- Be prepared: bring needed materials every day
- Complete homework on time
- Participate and follow instructions in all class activities
- Be willing to try new things and to step out of your ‘comfort zone’.
- Mark your music with a pencil and take notes when necessary.